Friday, October 21, 2011

A Heavy Feather - You're the Lotion On Darkness Knuckles as It Punches Light in the Face

A Heavy Feather is the latest project from David Sandström. Reviewing an album by him is a bit scary for me since I am, yes I admit it, quite obsessed with him. He is after all the man from Refused, Final Exit, AC4 and also the one responsible for the best Swedish album ever when he released Om Det Inte Händer Nåt Innan Imorgon Så Kommer Jag. A Heavy Feather is David embracing his electronic side and I must say that when I first heard of it I was a bit sceptical and after hearing the single Hannover I was far from convinced. The album however grew a bit after a few listens and after watching him perform a couple of the tracks last week. It's all quite beautiful, but unfortunatly the album feels too unfocused, as if he's not quite sure what he wants to convey to the listener. I also found some of the productions too lightweight for my personal taste. Problem for example is too much Pet Shop Boys for me to feel entirely comfortable. All in all though, the album is all David Sandström with it's up and downs. And that's what I love about him. He follows his own heart all the time, no matter if it's hardcore punk, rock or electronica.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments: