Saturday, October 06, 2012

DJ Scientist - For Better, For Worse

The first time I stumbled across the music of DJ Scientist I think was when he produced most of Ceschi's album The One Man Band Broke Up back in 2010. And what an introduction it was! Those two guys really complemented each other and make one of the best albums of that year. Earlier this year he released The Artless Cuckoo, an EP which sounded really promising for the future. So therefor it was with great expectations that I sat down to listen to For Better, For Worse which is his first full length album under his own name. And it is a good album. He's really good at building up moods and atmospheres with his productions. But, and there has to be a but here. After a while I'm kind of loosing interest for the album and even though it's still good, it doesn't sound very unique and personal. At times it feels like some of DJ Shadow's old left overs (which necessarily isn't a bad thing) and sometimes it sounds like those collections of samples that I used to listen to 10-12 years ago. One reason for this is of course that the material on this album was recorded between 2001 and 2006. But I guess what I miss is some vocals from time to time to really complete the album in a way that it's not able to do now. Like I said though, it's still a good album but if I had to pick only one instrumental album to listen to this year, I think I would pick The Small Minority by 2econdclasscitizen instead. 
Rating: 6/10

No comments: