Sunday, April 14, 2013

sole - No Wising Up No Settling Down

Time again for yet another album from the man we call sole. And what is good about his releases is that you know that they will never leave you untouched. His material always envokes some kind of emotional response in you, and I wish that I could say the same about the majority of records being released out there today. I was going to say that on No Wising Up No Settling Down, sole is angry, but sole is always angry. He wouldn't be the interesting artist that he is without that fire inside him. And this is an album where he, as always, shares his views on the world around us in a personal and trustworthy way. 
I know I have dissed him from time to time lately, but I admit that some of my opinions have been wrongly aimed at sole's talent and material. He IS a very good emcee and he has lyrics that actually say something, and in many ways he is the Chuck D of our age. Unfortunately though, the beats and music that backs him up is not by todays The Bomb Squad. Far from it. To be quite honest, most of the music on N.W.U.N.S.D. leaves me completely cold, and even bored. So if a could put a grade on the lyrics and vocals alone on this album, it would probably end up being a 7. But because of the music and production, the grade can only be a 5.
Rating: 5/10

No comments: