Sunday, July 07, 2013

a.hymnz - Second World

A topic that I have touched upon several times in different reviews is solo albums that contains a lot of different producers and guest vocalists. There is always a big risk that the artist himself gets lost in it all, and it mostly come out sounding like some kind of compilation album.
When sitting down to listen to Second World for the first time, I was a bit worried that it would end up sounding like something else than a solo full length from a.hymnz. That wouldhave been a shame since I've been a huge fan of him ever since listening to off the beaten path that he released together with variex. back in 2010.
Fortunately my worries were uncalled for here. Second World sounds and feels like a coherent album no matter what producers are responsible for the individual tracks. And there are some really good ones on this one; Factor, zöen, Pierre the Motionless, variex. and Chuckchee are just some of the people serving up great stuff for a.hymnz to do his thing to. And even if I might feel that the number of vocal contributions from other people are perhaps stretching the limit a bit, you can't really go wrong with awesome emcees such as Thorts, Hobs Sputnik and 2Mex
I have a hard time picking favourite tracks on Second World, mostly because I feel that they all complement each other. I must however say that Light Posts stick out amongst the others, mostly because of Tommy V. He truly is the unsung hero of this underground rap game.
A great album I think that you need to check out.

Rating: 7.5/10

1 comment:

adhesiveslipper said...

Totally agreed. Sometimes a record has so many guests that no matter whose album it is, I end up skipping to the tracks featuring my favorite people. This record definitely doesn't have that problem.