Sunday, September 05, 2010

Review: Halftime FM

In the beginning of 2010 I mentioned that the radioshow Halftime FM would begin broadcasting on Gothenburgs Student Radio. I really never got around to writing anything more about it after that. So today I decided to listen to it and see how the show is and how it holds up to its predecessor Come Clean Radio. The show just premiered its second season and it's been a few changes in the line-up. Lisa, one of the original hosts, has dropped out and is now replaced by Johannes Torstensson and Tobias Hillén. Sebastian Pettersson is still onboard as the founder of the show.
Hmm, I wonder how I should start this. Perhaps beginning with the negative aspects of the show and then to end of with positive stuff.
It's kind of sad that this show uses exactly the same mould as it's predecessor CCR. Both shows chose to pick its name from classic hiphop songs. Lacks a bit of imagination if you ask me. Both shows use the concept of playing two songs, talk some, two songs, talk etc. They also seem to make every single show a theme show. It would have been better to see them do something more fresh and more their own.
What's good is that Halftime FM seems like a more democratically run show than what was the case with CCR. Here all 3 members of the cast seems more equal and that is a very positive step forward. I know that I sound very critical, but that's not my intention. I'm really glad that Sebastian decided to keep broadcasting after CCR's demise and I tip my hat for that. I also think that including Johannes was a really good move because he manages to sound natural and relaxed on the air. I'm glad to hear my man Tobias on the air too.
I guess I really should say something about the music that they play too. I don't really have to much of an opinion about that since music is a question of personal taste and I don't have that much in common with their tastes. The selection of music do however very clearly shows exactly what these guys listen to themselves at home. That's both good and bad. The good thing is that they have quite good taste in music. The bad thing is that it gets a bit too narrowminded and the same artists, crews and labels keep popping up over and over.
All in all though, good work guys! Gothenburg needs a hiphop show and you're the ones carrying the torch. Will I listen next week? Naaw. Why not? Quite frankly because this kind of show is not for me.

No comments: