Friday, March 25, 2011

Interview #8 - Kristoff Krane

More Than Just an Emcee

One of my absolute favourite albums of last year is Hunting for Father by Kristoff Krane. I’ve been following him these last few years and he has gone from strength to strength. So it only felt natural to let him answer a couple of questions.

Kristoff Krane. Who’s hidden behind that name?

Christopher Keller. 

Last year you released 2 albums, what response did they get?

Hunting For Father is on daily rotation on 89.3 The Current and was voted top 10 local albums of the year by City Pages, Mpls, MN. 
Picking Flowers Next To RoadKill is # 10 on the US College Radio Charts!!!!!

I know that the passing of Micheal Larsen, more known as Eyedea, was a big personal tragedy. How are you feeling today and would you mind telling us a bit about your work with spreading his legacy?

I have 2 cyclical thought patterns constantly. 1. That says: " You just lost your best friend. You can no longer call him, talk to him or build with him...or love him in this form" and 2. One that says: " You are fortunate to have known someone who was able to truly tap into their full potential...so be grateful." 

Can you tell us a bit about your creative process when it comes to writing songs?

I write down my ideas, feelings, problems and inspirational outbursts when they come and then on certain days I compile them based on the nature/root of the expression. Same goes for sound. Sometimes the sounds come first and once I capture those on an instrument, then the writing comes out. I believe we all have creative reservoirs and that it's important to be constantly adding "input" into those, so that when our filters open we can access what we need to build what we need to build. 

You’re also a creative writing/poetry instructor at schools. How did that all come into play?

My first job was working as a "summer-camp youth counselor". 
I feel like I connect well with youth and that they are willing to allow my influence. 
I feel like I have developed an approach to how to effectively express myself and that i can share my tricks and strategies with others who are open. 


What do you wish to accomplish with your music?

I want people to know they are not alone. 
I want people to know that they can express their-selves and that whatever needs to come out should come out freely. 
I want people to feel inspired if they aren't or more deeply inspired if they already are. 

What can we expect from you this year?

Going on tour in Europe in April with Sadistik (Seattle, WA) . 
Going on 60 day National Tour starting in May with: Sadistik, Ordeal and Bodi. 
I have another full length record completely finished, featuring: Sage Francis, Illogic, Crescent Moon, Buck 65, Mike Schank and Sadistik. 
It was produced by Jaq (Germany). I'm not putting it out without a label...just not sure which one yet. 

What are your musical influences?


Shout outs?

They are in the above question. 

http://kristoffkrane.bandcamp.com/

No comments: