Sunday, June 05, 2011

Face Candy - Waste Age Teen Land


This is kind of a tricky album to review. Tricky because it was one of the last things that Micheal "Eyedea" Larsen recorded before his tragic death last year. It's always a bit of sensitive ground to tread on. I liked This is Where We Were when it dropped in 2006. At that time the group consisted of Eyedea, Kristoff Krane, Carnage and Mazta I on vocals and J.T. Bates and Casey O'Brien on bass and drums. Since then Carnage and Mazta I has left the group so on Waste Age Teen Land all the vocals are done by Eyedea and Kristoff Krane. What we are getting is freestyle on top of improvised music. All 4 are masters of what they are doing, and it's a joy to listen to them. But at the same time it's music that never really captivates me. I enjoy the freestyle flows and the pure brilliance behind them, but as a record I soon get bored. This is in no way a bad record, far from it. It's wonderful to see a bunch of artists doing exactly what they love. But at the same time it's not a record I will listen to much in the long run. Perhaps just not quite my cup of tea.

Review: 3/5

No comments: