Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interview #12 - k-the-i???

Not Keeping It Simple

In hip hop you can find many good emcees and a few excellent producers. There are however not that many who master both techniques. One who does is k-the-i???, and after being around for many years now he just released his first instrumental album on Fake Four Inc. So I thought it was a good idea to let the man himself speak.
You’ve been making music and records for quite a while now. Would you like to give us some background history and maybe something about yourself in general? When did you get into making music, and how did your career start off?

Well I'm originally from Cambridge, MA but I now reside in Los Angeles, CA for the past 6 years aside from staying in Europe for 8 months a year ago, lol. I have 4 official k-the-i??? releases and gang of features.

Me, Myself, k-the, 3rd Person - i??? (2004) Beyond Space Ent.

3 to 3 million robots to command (2005) Shadow Animals

Broken Love Letter (2006) Mush Records

Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow (2008) Mush Records / Big Dada Records

Pretty much back in 1999-2000 I was the kid on SoundClick, mp3.com and many other forums, chats and all other outlets promoting my music back then. I sent out countless demos until Tony from Beyond Space reached out to me for my first official release. A year later Robert Curcio reached out to me about releasing a record on Mush Records, I haven't looked back since. But to fully answer your question, I been making music since 1993 when I was in 8th grade. But I didn't take it seriously until my last year of High School in 1997.

What do you want to accomplish with your music?

Same as always. Just getting people to listen to my music because I feel like I have something different and original to offer. Since I've started, my name has been growing so I pretty much feel like I've accomplished most of what I've attempted. I've never been greedy so to ask for fame and fortune wouldn't be me, not to mention cliche. Lol. If it happens, it happens though.

How would you describe your music and could you briefly tell us about the music-making process?

I'd describe my music as genre-less or a better analogy, If all the music genres had an orgy and conceived a child out of the debauchery it would sound like my music. Lol. Yeah I went there. Haha.

As a producer I have to go through the steps first. Either look for my samples first or I create smooth synth lines first depending on my mood and where I want to take it. But it usually starts off with me listening to all types of different music to get my brain ready, then i dive in.

What are your influences?

My family and friends, Broadcast = The greatest band to live ever!!! (R.I.P.) Trish Keenan, Stereolab, Buddy Holly, Beirut, the 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's etc… You get my point. I love music. Lol.

You just released the album Synesthesia at Fake Four Inc. How did you hook up with those guys and will you be releasing more music on that label?

Ceschi set that up. He asked me a while ago if I was interested in releasing music on Fake Four. He suggested releasing my first instrumental record on Fake Four and I was totally down for that. Ceschi was one of the first artists that openly gave me respect years ago, so I'll always respect him. We started our careers together on Beyond Space Ent, so we go back. As for future releases, I hope so, but there isn't anything concrete as of yet. To be honest, I feel like I'll be releasing more music on Fake Four, now that I think about it.

How come you decided to release a strictly instrumental album?

It's a side of me that I've been trying to dive deep into for some time now but I never had time to pull it off until now. I feel like my instrumentals offer a new tasteful original sound to the
beat scene(s). Not to mention it's about time that I show people that I'm more than just an emcee. I mean who knows….. On my next record I could be strictly singing, lol. I like to get my Mike Patton on and change every record.

What else do you have got going on at the moment? Any other works in progress?

I'm working on wrapping up my next rap record on Mush Records. Also produced a record for my homie Verble on Grimm Image. I'm producing a slew of songs for many artists and remixing a gang of music, you'll see. Lol. This year is mine. For sure!!!

Do you have any musical memories that you’d like to share with us, that has meant a lot to you?

I don't even know where to start. The Fake Four Festival that went down a few months ago in LA at the Echoplex. It's the first time I met the Fake Four team and to see how welcoming everyone was made me feel like they’re the label everyone should be fucking with. The formula works.

Another memory was playing a big ass festival in Lyon, France called Riddim Collision with my homie Walter Gross, there was thousands of people there, me and Walter got on stage and melted the festival. From that point on, I got a European booking agent and a steady growing fan base in Europe.

Anything else you would like to say to the readers?

Listen to my music, follow me on Twitter, Facebook and so forth!!!

Facebook: Kiki Ceac
Twitter: /kthei

Support Grimm Image, Mush Records, Big Dada and Fake Four Artist!!!

And thank you for the support, it means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

No comments: