Friday, September 16, 2011

DJ Shadow - The Less You Know, The Better


It's always a bit tricky to review anything made by DJ Shadow. I mean, he made Endtroducing which, if you ask me is the best record ever made. So whatever he really makes is compared to that one, which is kind of unfair really. The Less You Know, The Better is his first album since 2006 when he released The Outsider. For those of you who has followed my blog since then might remember the disappointment that it was to me. Now in hindsight it's still not a very good album, but I make it easy for myself and just call that album his hyphy period, and leave it to that. So let's put my teeth into his new album then. It's good, it's actually really good. When DJ Shadow is at his best no one comes even close to him when it comes to creating both funky productions and setting amazing moods and soundscapes together. One thing that always makes me happy is to see that he never really leaves the turntablist in himself out, and fill his music with amazing DJ work. What can I really say? It's no Endtroducing, but it's one of the best albums I've heard in a long time and it's great to see DJ Shadow return in strength.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: