Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Native Hundred - Down to Your Hairs

It just takes a few seconds of listening to Down to Your Hairs before I close my eyes and let myself be swept away by the beautiful melodies. Some might know Rhys Jon Baker from the group Wild Dogs in Winter that released the amazing album, Homba, in 2010. A Native Hundred is his dazzling and melancholic solo project that is just as good as anything that Wild Dogs in Winter has released. It's fragile and the balance between hope and sadness rings throughout all 11 tracks. As astounding as the music is with its acoustic tones, beautiful arrangements and field recordings, it wouldn't be complete without Rhys haunting, frail vocals and poetic prose. Together it creates an album and an emotional journey. It leaves the listener craving more, I know I do.

Rating: 8/10

No comments: