Thursday, January 10, 2013

Penny - Twenties Hungry : The Unbound Anthems of Yesteryear

I must say that Fake Four Inc's been extremely generous with good music lately. First came the amazing Mockingbird by Tommy V, and now it's time for a record from yet another greatly missed artist. Back in 2002-2003 I stumbled across the record The Clockforth Movement by accident. I had never heard of the artist Penny before, but felt like I needed to check it out. And I'm glad I did. That album was among my favourite releases that year, and from time to time I still listen to it and enjoy it very much. After the compilation Miscellanea a few years later, things have more or less been quiet from this amazing emcee. Apart from a guest spot on an old Ceschi track as well as being part of Endemik Music's Mega Posse Cut, I haven't heard a single thing up until now. And how I missed her! Even though Twenties Hungry: The Unbound Anthems of Yesteryear is a compilation of tracks written and recorded between 2003-2006, not a single track sounds outdated. Far from it. They just show what a great talent she is, and that she was way ahead of many of her contemporaries back then. What we get here is 8 tracks that all stand on their own, and that will be on constant rotation in my headphones for quite some time. The only downside to this is that now I will look forward to hearing new material from her even more than before. Just imagine what she will be able to create today!

Rating: 7/10

No comments: