Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Refused + Coachella = Embarrasing


Anyone who knows me well knows of my obsession with the band Refused. I would say that they probably are my favourite band of all time. Still to this day I'm buying any record that I can get my hand on if any of the members ever had anything to do with it. The group broke up in 1998, and even though I got really sad, I felt that it was the right thing for them to do. They had done everything they could and went out while still being on top. Ever since then there have been a demand for a reunion, something that has been turned down time after time. Today the monster festival Coachella revealed their schedule for this year's festival, and amongst the artists performing: Refused. You might think that I would get happy over these news, but far from it. I got sad and even more so, I got angry. There can be only one reason for this reunion. The almighty dollar. Sure, they will probably say that they're doing it for fun or whatever. I just read on their website that the reason why they're doing this is that:

"We never did "The shape of punk to come" justice back when it came out, too tangled up in petty internal bickering to really focus on the job. And suddenly there's this possibility to do it like it was intended. We wanna do it over, do it right. For the people who've kept the music alive through the years, but also for our own sakes."

But let's face it, they are only doing these gigs because of the pay checks. I admit, they're all struggling musicans that are getting older and have to think about surviving. And that is understandable. Everyone has to eat. But that can't help me feeling that through these gigs, they're are selling out everything that Refused ever stood for. This is a sad day in the history of Refused.

No comments: