Friday, March 23, 2012

Interview #15 - Kadyelle

Mata Leão


It doesn't really matter where in the world you're looking. Mad talent is everywhere. Unfortunately some artists get more attention just because they're from, for example, the States. However, Kadyelle is from Australia, and she's a fine example that your nationality has nothing to do with your talent.

Would you mind telling us a little bit about yourself? Who is Kadyelle and what makes you tick?

I think my life is reasonably simplistic… I am a mother and step-mother of three incredible young people; a wife to my very talented husband, Thorts; a combatant of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts and a lover of Hip Hop. Every aspect of my life is interwoven with these elements. I make music in my home studio with my husband, we train together at our makeshift home Dojo during the day and at our club Dojo at night; we try to involve our young children in these incredibly fulfilling physical and creative journeys as much as we possibly can, but when that is not possible, we rely on the support of our close-knit family and friends to help us. We live in Bunbury, Western Australia (about 2 hours south of Perth) and absolutely love the quiet coastal lifestyle and the contrast of living close to the city where we can see dope local and touring acts, as well as perform ourselves, and also have access to some of the best Martial Arts training facilities in the country.

What do you want to accomplish with your music?

A year ago I would have said that I want to make hard copy, widely distributed music, go on tour and try to reach as many heads as I possibly can… but these days I am content to make music that I enjoy, my friends like and my small fan base want to download for free and put into rotation on their stereos and iPods. I guess as I am getting older I am growing tired of measuring my worth by Facebook ‘likes’ and stressing over whether or not I will get paid for the show I am going to perform at, and if I don’t get paid where I can trim back my budget to make ends meet and bitchy things random people may say about my music on Youtube. I think there is more to life than trying to accomplish popularity for the sake of ego. But… if a lot of people did like my music and want to buy it and hear it on their radios, well, I would be more than happy about that. But for now I am happy to just make it and see what happens.
What inspires you when it comes to the creative process? What made you start making music in the first place?

I have always used writing and rhyme as a cathartic exercise since childhood. I guess like a lot of young teenagers I was inspired by American hip hop and the few local successes like Hilltop Hoods to start playing around with rapping. But I took it to the next level in 2007 when I met my good friend Soma as well as my husband-to-be, Thorts. They both influenced me to explore the vast underground world of hip hop, to record my own rhymes and to fall very deeply in love with the entire culture of hip hop. I had been an avid follower of the rap scene since I was an 11 year old TLC and Run DMC fan, but there is a great divide between rap enthusiast and hip hop connoisseur. And for me the bridge came in the form of the incredible people that I met along the way.
How important is the lyrical content to you?

First and foremost I consider myself a lyricist. Sometimes I am critical of myself for slipping into a mundane or comfortable flow because I concentrate deeply on what it is I am actually trying to say rather than how cleverly I am saying it. That is a pitfall I am vowing to avoid from now on. I think lyrical content is only at its most wondrous when the flows are heart-stopping.

For people outside of Australia, we usually only think of Hilltop Hoods and Bliss n Eso when we think about Aussie hip hop. What are your views about the scene in your country?

The scene here is inescapable. You couldn’t evade it if you tried. Hip Hop is permeating every aspect of society from every element of the culture. There’s a lot of stuff that I like and a lot that I don’t. I can’t stand the inane forum banter of idiots who associate Australian hip hop with ‘aussie (or white) pride’. That element has no place in our culture and sickens me. But I do think that Hilltop Hoods and Bliss n Eso are pretty good ambassadors of our scene. They make generally intelligent, conscious music without trying to adhere to some relentlessly commercial formula and I see a lot of young, emerging Australian hip hop artists following in their footsteps. This is a good thing. I also see a blossoming emergence of female hip hop artists in Australia and I try to keep an eye on who is doing well, who is emerging and who needs more support. But it is easy to see that in Australia, hip hop is alive and well.
Any other Australian artists that you think we need to check out?

There are so many. I could be here all day. But if there is only one artist you check out this year, make it Mathas. He is from Perth and he is the best example of lyrical depth and lilting flows that I can think of. Dope.

I know that you’re very much into jiu jitsu and other forms of martial arts. What are your other passions in life apart from music?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA changed my life in the same way that hip hop did. I hate to sound corny but I hold quite the romantic flame for BJJ. It consumes me in the same way hip hop does. But I guess the thing that also draws me to the art is its authenticity. If you are motivated and creative and passionate, it WILL pay off. You WILL succeed. You will win, your hand will be raised and you will stand on a podium and reap the respect that you deserve for the immeasurable amount of blood, sweat and tears that you leave on the mats or in the cage. There is no subjectivity here. Sometimes with music you can be left feeling slightly unfulfilled or unrewarded for the amount of passion that you invest. Sometimes you can love music without it loving you back. The only negative thing that BJJ/MMA and hip hop share is a shady element of sexism that I think only sullies the purity of both art forms.

What can we expect from you this year?

For the past 2 years I have been working on a new LP with an array of talented folk from Australia and overseas. The project is very close to completion. It is a 16 track LP called The Theory of Everything which boasts a variety of production styles from boom bap to dub influences. We have production from Digital Assassin, Rahjconkas, Admin and Ren Riz. Featured rappers and vocalists include Ozi Batla (from The Herd), Optamus and Dazastah (from Downsyde), the incredible Ceschi, the late and beloved Hunter, my beautiful sis Class A, my husband Thorts, Chance Waters (aka Phatchance), Rachael Berry, Brooke Taylor, Soma, Miss Karleena, Porsah Laine and Rob Shaker on cuts. Pretty epic line-up and I can’t wait to release it into the world. And start on something new.

Final words or shout outs?

I mentioned earlier that my new album drops this year and includes a verse from the late, great Hunter. He passed away in October 2011 after a 2 year battle with cancer. His death affected us all but his life effected the world. Please show support for his work by purchasing the Australian Hip Hop Supports CanTeen double album or donating to cancer research. Every little bit helps.

Also, shout outs to everyone at Legion 13 (BJJ & MMA)! My family away from home.

No comments: