Wednesday, May 02, 2012

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

El Producto is back! I've been waiting for this album every single day for the last 5 years. He released his last proper full length album, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, back in 2007 and ever since, the follow up has been on the top of my list of albums I've been wanting to hear. And now, well at least in a few weeks, Cancer 4 Cure is here. It's always a bit nervous to listen to an album that you have looked forward to a lot because there is always a risk that you will be disappointed. 
So what do I think of the album then? Well, ever since I first heard it last week it's been on constant rotation in my headphones and I love it more for each time. El-P has always been one of my favourite producers and here he shows that he has just kept on developing and perfecting his skills, and what we get is 12 amazing tracks that blows most other albums clear out the water. The thing however that makes him so special is that he's always a really good emcee too, and he doesn't disappoint here either. Maybe he in many ways is an aquired taste, but to me he's the man. I can easily talk about each song, each production and each lyric and praise it. But instead you should just pre-order the album and know that what you will get is one of this year's best albums. Period. 
El-P is still the man and his contenders don't even come close.

Rating: 9/10

No comments: