Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

I must say that initially this album was quite a disappointment. I had big hopes for this collaboration between Killer Mike and El-P, and the initial tracks sounded promising. So it was with enthusiasm that I sat down to listen to R.A.P. Music. The opening track Big Beast with its Public Enemy sample lifted my hopes even more, but after that it all kind of felt like this stew was simmering more than it was cooking. I mean, I could not avoid feeling El-P's beats, and Killer Mike is a hugely underrated emcee. But it was something that bugged me. Then it hit me, I never really been a fan of the Southern sound and that was probably the reason why I got disappointed. 
After several listens though it slowly grew, and the album definitely gained some points and I can see why people have talked warmly about this record since it dropped. I have however never hidden that this blog is all about my own personal taste, and too much gangsta and talk about niggas always bores me nowadays. But hey don't listen to me, check it out for yourself instead of listen to this old grump.
Rating: 6/10

No comments: