Friday, June 29, 2012

A Band of Buriers - Filth

These last 2 months have been really good when it comes to record releases. We've been blessed with amazing records from people like El-P, Bigg Jus, The Tallest Man on Earth and David Ramos amongst others. And now one of the albums I've been looking forward to the most this year is about to drop. A Band of Buriers self titled release from last year was without a doubt my favourite album of the entire year, and it's still a record I listen to regularly. James P Honey and Jamie Romain's unique blend of pop, underground hip hop and avantgardic classical soundscapes completely blew me away the first time I heard it, and it was with great expectations that I sat down the other day to listen to the follow up, Filth
14 tracks clocking in at just about 52 minutes, and every minute is one of pure beauty. Honey's thoughtful poetry and observations are as fine as always and Romain is the backbone that really sets ABOB aside from the rest. I can't find a single bad song on the entire album. I must admit that I'm not as blown away this time around though, but that's not these guys fault. When I heard their debut I had never heard anything like it and it was all an amazing discovery, while I'm now very familiar with their sound. That being said, with songs like Slides By, Stuffing A Chest With Twigs, Silver Turnstiles and F.Breavman you can never really go wrong. A truly gorgeous piece of art. Must mention on a side note though, that I did prefer the live video versions of both Slides By and Stuffing A Chest With Twigs.
The album is available from decorative stamp on July 10th and I urge you to pick up a copy and give yourself a beautiful soundtrack for the rest of the summer.
Rating: 8.5/10

No comments: