Friday, February 04, 2011

Interview #1 - THMS

Not quite IKEA

Swedish hip hop. Unless you live in Sweden that is probably nothing you ever come across. Sure, artists such as Looptroop Rockers, ADL and to some extent Stacs of Stamina and Out of the Blue Crew have done their best to get heard out there. But they all rap in English. When it comes to artists rhyming in Swedish though I guess that is something very few people living outside of Sweden have ever stumbled across. So do we have any good ones doing it in our native language? If you ask me the answer is sadly no. There are a few exceptions though, for example the group Mobbade Barn Med Automatvapen made some great songs back in the days. They were the first ones who really dared to play with the language, and to push its boundaries. Unfortunately most artists just follow the typical American template for making hip hop. But as always if you dig deep enough, you find something interesting. Music filled with quality and artists doing the music for their own sakes without trying to copy the mainstream. One of these artists is THMS.

For most people you are probably quite unknown. Can you tell us a little about who THMS is? Give us some history.

I started to write lyrics back in the mid 90´s. In the beginning it was the typical battle lyrics but then a new friend introduced me to Company Flow and I was so amazed that I started to explore new ways to express myself outside the battle lyrics but also sound wise, taking several steps outside the typical hip hop soundscape. At the same time I switched from writing lyrics in English to Swedish. We had a group back then called Dianas Universum and it was all great fun. I went by the name Mr. T back then, but recently change it to THMS because I felt that this name was closer to my own name and more representative of my age.


What are your thoughts of the Swedish scene? Do you have any musical soul mates outside of the immediate circle?

I’m really not into the Swedish hip hop scene at all and I really don’t know that much about the young musicians out there. The Swedish hip hop today sounds more like a blend between euro disco from the 90´s with rap on top of it and techno. Some of it I like but most of it I don’t, but old Swedish hip hop acts such as Stacs of Stamina, Rusiak and Henry Bowers/Kung Henry are still good to listen to and they have inspired me in some ways.

What inspires you in your writing?

I know it´s going to sound cliché but life and things happening around me inspires me, how could it not? And of course also my friends that I make music with. My wife and son is a strong force that drives me to be a better human and that really inspires me. The biggest driving force though is me, I really have to write lyrics and make music to be able to function as a human being.

Do you have a purpose with your music?

I guess my purpose is to do music that I like first and foremost. I really don’t have a big agenda with my music. Of course I hope that some people will listen to it and get inspired and hopefully get moved by it in some way. I am really trying to say something with my music. I just hope that some of the listeners hear it.


You are probably one of the first in Sweden to release an album where there is such a mix of languages. Did this come natural or was it an informed decision? On your latest album Glömda Egenskaper you find Swedish, English, French, German and Japanese.

It all started through the Internet. I got in contact with people from different parts of the world that was into the same sound as me. I did some music with people from different countries and then it felt kind of natural to continue on that road since they have the same taste in music as me.

I did not have a plan when I started recording this album; it just took form by itself. The original idea for the record looked more like a true solo album with only me rapping and a few guests. Then when I began recording, the idea of a "multicultural or multi-language" record took form by itself. Halfway true i really felt that I wanted to do a project album with a lot of people from different parts of the world so it became an international album in the end.

One undeniably gets the feeling that one of the perks of today’s technology is that the world literarily shrinks, and that is creates another possibility to connect with other people. Labels such as New Cocoon and Milled Pavement are really good examples of truly multicultural record companies. What is your thought about that, and do you think that this is something that we’ll see more of in the future?

I really like the fact that the world is shrinking and that the borders are being erased. These types of labels are proof that it is happening, and it´s great for musicians like myself that aren’t really appreciated in my own country to get a broader crowd on an international level. In the future I think that these types of labels will be the standard because if you want to release good music you have to look outside the box. New Cocoon and Milled Pavement is really good at this and is therefore front men when it comes to be a multicultural record labels.

What are you up to when you’re not creating music?

I’m studying to become a teacher in History and Religion so that takes a lot of my time. But first and foremost I spend my time with my wife and son; they are my first priority in life. After that, reading a lot of books, watching a lot of movies and drinking good American micro brew beer with my friends. I also operate a club called Panik Disco with a friend of mine.

What do we have to look forward to this year from THMS?

I have recorded two records that will come out this year via Milled Pavement. The first one is a seven track EP called Fatalist that I have recorded with Misanthrop from Germany. The second one is a full length album called Postintellektuella Manifestet that I have recorded with Joel Siméus. We call ourselves Bokklubben. I’m also in the process to record yet another album called M stands for. It´s going to be a sixteen track album with sixteen different producers and only me rapping, this one will also be released this year.

Do you have any shout-outs or message to the readers?

Shout-outs, ha-ha. So hip hop indeed! Well, a salute to New Cocoon, Milled Pavement and Moshe, Joel "Josef" Siméus and Bokklubben, Misanthrop, 32french, Wormhole, Kaigen, Soda, James P Honey, Staplemouth, Yannic, Plunge attempt, DJMadwrist, MCHandsome, Variex and of course all the other fantastic artists that I have worked with over the years. Special gun salute to beats, breaks and big smiles that are truly one of my favourite places to lay my eyes on.

To the readers, all I can say is simply that it´s so much fun living outside the box, making music with odd and fantastic people is great fun and I hope that you like what I/we do. Support independent music by spreading it as much as you can. Thank you!

http://soundcloud.com/thms1
http://thms1.bandcamp.com/

No comments: