Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Neila - Only This One Counts


If you have followed my blog lately you will have heard about what has happened to Neila. She has been forced to undergo surgery for vocal chord cancer. Everything looks good at the moment, but her voice will be different. But enough about that for the moment and let us focus on the music. I've loved her music ever since I heard her and my man Porters 7 inch From Whom the Bells Crow back in 2005. I fell in love with her flow at once and quickly picked up her earlier work, amongst them the masterpiece Vertical Trees with Eternal Leaves. Since then she has been my favourite female emcee. Well, to hell with the female etiquette. She's one of my favourite emcees period. So to sit down and listen to Only This One Counts was a real treat. And I wasn't the least bit disappointed. This albums holds it ground compared to her earlier work, and the production by Rezult is really good. Pick up this album and support not only a very nice person, but also an amazing artist.

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

no one no where said...

Just bought my copy from her yesterday. What an amazing talent, and a complete sweetheart as well. I've been seriously pushing the good wishes her way. Glad to see others upholding the cause too.

Jack Devo

michael said...

Yeah, she definitely deserves more attention and also a lot of love these days.

Are you the Jack Devo from Bring That Beat Back btw?