Monday, November 05, 2012

Two Reviews of Ira Lee - Growl

Michael's review:
I must admit that I was ready to dismiss this album without even listening to it. Having been a big fan of Ira Lee for years, I feel that his output has gotten weaker and weaker. But in the end I still felt that I had to give Growl a chance. Because when Ira is good, he is amazing and I didn't want to risk missing out on anything. So I kept my fingers crossed when the first song came out through my headphones. My first reaction was that I was really feeling the beats. Dirty and distorted, and just what I need to feel good. Unfortunately that's where the fun ended. Because even if the productions were good, Ira's vocals and lyrics were not. He's always been the king of emo and feeling sorry for himself, but in the past he managed to do so with clever lyrics and a twinkle in his eyes. This time around he doesn't just feel too sorry for himself, but he's lazily feeling too sorry for himself, and that just comes across as boring and annoying. I'm sad to say this, but my love affair with Ira is now officially over. I wish him all the best in the future, but we've just grew apart.

Jessika's review: 
It´s funny how this so-called alternative hip hop sometimes is everything else but alternative. The political correctness, the bad metaphors and the goody-two-shoes attitude of “the guy who has all the answers” I think we all heard this before, have we not? What I’m trying to say here is, and I guess you already know, what so new and fascinating about this? I´m really trying to get to know this genre of music, but when I come across lyricists like this I just get tired, very tired! I mean: "I call myself a genius because no one else does” might be an attempt to be different and alternative, or it could just be a statement reflecting reality. We (me), who live in the mainstream world, hear this political-correct-saving-the-world crap all the time. It is not new and exciting! Heard of Bono
I´m not saying it's bad. I’m not saying that the message in the lyrics isn’t important. I just want to experience it in a different way, and I thought this might be the genre to do that. I guess I’m just disappointed, again.

With this being said, in my own cynical words, I have to state what I do like about this album. I do like Ira Lee´s voice and his ability to articulate so even a novice, being me, can follow him and understand his language. I really enjoy the music as well, being a bit rough and rugged, definitely my cup of tea.

And finally, and this is a plea I guess. Show me how to love and approach this type of music because this didn’t help me at all.   


Michael's rating: 2.5/10
Jessika's rating: 2/10

No comments: