Thursday, December 20, 2012

#2 babelfishh & oskar ohlson - We'd Rather Not

I've said it earlier during this countdown, and I'll say it again. 2012 has definitely been babelfishh's year. Nothing that man has touched has been other than amazing, and nothing more so than his latest collaboration with the lovely oskar ohlson. Indie pop and underground hip hop blending in the most extraordinary way. Not one single note or lyric is misplaced here, and it all boils down to pure musical joy!.

As for oskar's own favourite of the year:

It's not easy to decide on one musical highlight for 2012, there are so many to choose from... But after thinking about it for a while I think I have a winner. While 2012 had quite a few new releases I really love, my choice is actually a reissue: the Neutral Milk Hotel vinyl box.
Packed in a beautiful cardboard box, you get all the NMH releases on vinyl: both albums on 12'' vinyl in gate-fold covers, the Everything Is EP with some bonus tracks on 10'', plus a 10'' titled 1992-1995 with seven unreleased Jeff Mangum studio demos(!!) and one live song. Three 7''s, of which one is a picture disc, also with some previously unreleased songs, and two beautifull posters.
The packaging is just amazing! And with the box beeing self-released (and seemingly only self-distributed) there's no need for any barcodes either.
And the music... Neutral Milk Hotel are defenitly one of my all time favourites! There's very few, if any, records that get as intense as In the Aeroplane Over the Sea! ...and rarely have I been so excited about "new" archival demo recordings as I am with those on here. Boy, do they deliver!
I remember when the box arrived in the mail (or rather after I picked it up from the customs...grrr) I took the rest of the day off and just listened to each record in its entirety. Such genius! ...and so heartbreaking!
yap, that's it.
cheers!

oskar

No comments: