Sunday, December 02, 2012

Interview #23 - Perseph One

Drawing Musical Patterns


Giving you the girl who creates fine art through music as well as on canvas. An artist that's not afraid to go against the grain when it comes to her creative output. At this time last year I'd never heard of Perseph One, but this year she really caught my attention. She's one of the more interesting artists out there at the moment, so I tracked her down to give her the standard beats, breaks & big smiles treatment.
As usual I will start off with the classic question: Who are you? Please give us some glimpses of your upbringing and your persona.
I am Perseph One, I am an artist. raised in Illinois and Missouri by my hardworking parents alongside two younger brothers. Dad taught martial arts and werked at a factory. Mom taught aerobics and werked at a cosmetic counter. Interacial marriage. Our lives were fun yet intense.
What made you start making music? Influences and why have they made an imprint on you?
I grew up with my grandmother bumpin 2 12 w a sub and tweeters in her green Magnum, thanks to my cousin, church music all day down the block. My cousin was always on his keyboard and recording on 4 track analog. He taught me how to use my first 4 track. I began recording songs for the group I started then, still known as Ces Cru. We started a rap family with strong ties that are still relevant in my approach. I fell in love with the possibilities of my werds, attitude, and patterns to sound.  Before I had the 4 track I would record thru one side of a headphone onto a cassette and bounce back and for between dual cassettes to overdub. Ahh that’s really why I wanted a 4track so bad. The sound was so washed out, but still a good technique to have learned.
Would you mind telling us a bit about your creative process?
Well, it varies. I usually just start with a humming pattern in my head. Then add werds or the opposite like if I have werds I need to get out so I mold it to the music I’m putting it to. I write as a basis of what I want to convey it is not always exact. A lot of my channeling includes repetition. Once I’ve finished a verse I wear it on my few as long as I feel necessary then move on. Drink tea or coffee sets my mood. Btw it’s the year of the long verse!
What do you want to accomplish with your music?
(insert count Dracula laugh) To send subliminal messages that make you feel the urge to come to my shows and buy my music and merchandise. NOT JOKING. I really want to present people with a proper representation of those on similar wavelengths as I. Also to open the door of information to ancient underwater basket weaving techniques. I will let u know what for in the new album!
Since you are the engineer of both beats and vocals I can’t help but wonder if there is any artistic area where you feel more at home?
I would say vocals over someone else’s badass beat is perty homie to me. I tend to do that most because the energy with another producer drives me hard. I look at my productions with vocals as I would a painting.
The first time I heard you was on the track Wounded Workhorse on prison soup’s tape. How did you guys hook up?
I was in a rap duo with Evak years ago and was neighbors with Babelfishh years ago. We have remained friends through it all. a rare breed of rap in Houston.
What kind of responses have you got to your album Nikola’s Spirit?
To my surprise since it was completely a spontaneous 2 week sketch project the response was more than I thought it would be. While some did not know if they liked it at first relistened and found more. It’s one to listen to with headphones on in a super reflective mode. Each song a visited thought to indulge in. Some people just loved it instantly because of its uniqueness.
What are you up to when you’re not making music?
I am painting a series of large pieces at the moment. Hang with my pups, family, and friends. Just about everyday involved making music even if its jotting a few lines or starting a beat skeleton.I am a sucker for cartoons.
What are some of your dreams and hopes for the future?
That I can continue making music and reach more and more people with it.
Are there any upcoming projects that we can look forward to?
A new album next year as well as side project releases.
Shout outs, final words, last thoughts…? Yeah, you get the idea.
Thank u for your support and interest. The blog is on point. Last thought, haha if u love it then put a ring on it. Shout outs, Houston, Babelfishh, Evak, Papervehicle, Ces Cru, Nikhoo, Sleepy5Orchestra, Thavius Beck, Blackbird, Blackie,Limb, Josiah Gabriel, David, Jamie, Mumsie n poppieseed.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/PersephOne-Guns/188444617874075
http://persephoneguns.bandcamp.com/

No comments: