Wednesday, July 13, 2011

sole & the skyrider band - Hello Cruel World


I've never been a big fan of sole & the skyrider band. I love a lot of sole's own material and he will always have a special place in my heart, but the work with the skyrider band have never touched me that much. So I must say that I was gladly surprised when I listened to Hello Cruel World. Tracks like D.I.Y., Hello Cruel World and Progress Trap are all great songs and the album is filled with real head nodders. So after a while I was thinking along the lines of giving it all a really high rating. But that was unfortunately before I had heard Formal Designation 134340 and to a lesser degree Captain Bad Swag. No need to beat around the bush about it, Formal Designation 134340 is one of the worst songs sole has ever released if you ask me. Sadly, these two songs lowers the overall impression of a otherwise great album. Being the huge fan of Fake Four Inc. and Ceschi that I am, I just have to ask one question though. Is it part of the deal when releasing music on the label that Ceschi has to be featured somewhere on the album?

Rating: 3/5

3 comments:

Craig said...

I like your theory but Ceschi is not on the Blue Sky Black Death albums or the Ron Contour album.

michael said...

I know, I was exaggerating a bit. But my real point was that in the long run (at least for me) I will be bored by seeing the same guests on each and every FF album.

Craig said...

It's not that much of an exaggeration, I actually had to look up discogs to find albums he does not feature on. I hear what you're saying but I've always thought label mates guesting on hip hop albums to be standard practice.