Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Hobs Sputnik - Satellite Strange

I never got around to reviewing this album when it dropped in the end of August, but better late than never I suppose. Hobs Sputnik is this cat who's been around for a bit now releasing songs here and there, but this year it was time to drop Satellite Strange, his debut album. And what can I say? Well, I guess I both have some good and bad things to say about it. It is a solid album featuring a lot of my favourite emcees over some overall killer beats. Hobs has a distinct voice that might not be something for everyone, but I like it. What I must say though is that I think that he has gone a bit over the top when it comes to guests on the album. If I counted correctly it's 21 different guest emcees on 19 tracks. Like I said earlier, a lot of them are favourites of mine so no complaints there. I think the downside to having all of these guests is that Hobs himself seems to be lost in the mix sometimes. There is of course nothing wrong with doing what he's done here, but on a proper debut album I wish that an artist would take center stage, and not risk making the record sound more like some kind of compilation than a real album. With all that being said I have to say that I like the record, and I'm looking forward to see what he will do in the future.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

Perverted Digger said...

dope album.. got mine in the mail today!