Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Kaigen - Re: bloomer

I have to start out by saying sorry to Kaigen. I haven't read all the translated lyrics to the album so I won't talk to much about the content. But that being said, this is the kind of music that in many ways ignores language barriers. Even though I don't speak a word of Japanese I've always been into Japanese hip hop. I used to be a big fan of names like Buddah Brand, Rhymester, King Giddra, ECD and of course DJ Krush. I can't really remember when I first heard Kaigen, but it seems he's always been there in the background these last few years. After work with for example Curse ov Dialect and his collaboration with Meiso it's now time for Kaigen to release an album in his own name. And it's a solid album. I love his flow, and the production made by amongst others Jel, Thavius Beck and Kaigen himself is definitely my cup of tea. On Re: bloomer he has also invited some really great names such as Ceschi, Awol One, 2Mex and Myka 9 to guest on some tracks. And even though it at times is distracting to hear the clash between English and Japanese, it is the kind of distraction that is welcome. I love that language doesn't have to stop creative people to work together and Re: Bloomer is a good example of that. If you never really given Japanese hip hop a chance, I think that this album is a great introduction.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: