Saturday, December 10, 2011

jamesreindeer's Favourite Musical Moment[s] from 2011

Such a tricky proposition indeed. Attempting to highlight a single favourite musical moment from another long year filled with such amazing creative enterprise and artistic merit. I might be forced to cheat a little bit a drop in a few bits and pieces. But, after long consideration, I would have to describe perhaps the single greatest highlight of the year as being the 2nd Skribble Gebibble Birthday Party in Oberhausen, Germany back in March. If you are familiar with what the Skribble Gebibble folk do, then you will immediately know what I am driving at, but for the uninitiated, we are simply talking about the best possible party vibe married with the highest sense of independent creative endeavour under one roof. The Skribble folk have been throwing parties at the Druckluft venue in their little corner of sunny Germany to constantly staggering effect. Never have I stumbled upon such a group of people, so keen to invest so much time, energy and creative endeavour into creating the most spectacular live shows, parties and chill-out evenings one could ever hope to witness. The 2nd birthday party being the crowning glory thus far. No matter how far afield you are, would heartily recommend finding yourself in the vicinity for the 3rd birthday party next spring, as well as everything else besides.

Still, in detailing an answer more specifically relating to the musical part of the question, where to begin! I guess this year, for myself as well as Decorative Stamp, as well as a lot of other folk, it has undoubtedly been the year of AbSUrd. Most of my favourite musical moments of the year have revolved around being able to work alongside him on both the second Murmur Breeze record as well as his own solo début. It is so hard for me to put into words quite how amazing I find his work to be, but countless hours spent working on mixing albums rarely conclude with a strong desire to listen as much to the final product if at all, but not so in the case of these two releases. I have sweated blood working on both those records, but can still take no higher pleasure in sitting back and listening through to them as any regular listener would. They are so richly rewarding and so much more than the sum of their parts, I can scarcely await the next two planned album projects from his stable, not least since I am to play leading roles in both! Good times ahead for without doubt.

Also though, I feel I should make a concerted effort to draw attention to the vast host of other enterprises which have blown me away this year. In rapid succession I would make mention of the Evak & Edison EP arriving in my inbox back at the start of the year, a life-altering experience for sure. Finally getting my hands on a physical copy of Wild Dogs in Winter's  Homba CD, or finally getting my hands on the first Two Ton Sloth release. The Woolgatherers song on the Mism 10”, the Book of Marion vinyl release, the Babel Fishh & Tenshun double 7”, Getting to cross paths with so many old and new friends across cities across the year, getting to see so many amazing live performances; Moshe & Brzowski, Ancient Mith, Pierre the Motionless, zoën, Ceschi, 2econdclasscitizen, sole, Josiah & Liz Wolf, Th' Mole, Kay the Aquanaut, Noah23... Good times indeed.

Lastly, surely the biggest musical highlight of the year for me really must be the incredible growth and advancement of the very dear Decorative Stamp. From what began as captain James P Honey and I toying around with a few DIY bits and pieces, to being joined by a few friends, and then a few more, to becoming a fully-fledged operation has been something really wonderful for sure. I am so proud to be so deeply involved in such an enterprise, constantly blown away by the work that each of our members are producing, and so deeply honoured and lucky to be able to call each and every one of them such close friends. There can surely be no musical moment more special than hearing a favourite song of the year performed by the closest of friends. The musical world is surely a community of like-minded souls banding together to explore avenues of human experience through rhythm, melody and language, and long may it continue into many new years ahead.

jamesreindeer
Darmstadt, Germany
December, 2011

No comments: