Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Isaiah Toothtaker - Illuminati Thug Mafia


I had a discussion with two friends the other day about Isaiah Toothtaker. Even though we didn't really have the same opinion about him, one thing was clear. We all looked forward to sinking our teeth into his latest album Illuminati Thug Mafia. I must admit that I've never been a big fan of him. I listened quite a bit to Murs 3:16 Presents: Isaiah when it came out in 2008. When the follow up Yiggy came out last year, I listened to it a couple of times and then lost interest in it. Except for a couple of nice tracks by Megasoid I wasn't really impressed at all. The thing is that I can understand what people like about it even if I don't share the views completely. Sure, Isaiah can flow and the productions that he raps to are often interesting at least. But I'm afraid that to me that's all. One of the topics that came up when we discussed him the other day was his thug lyrics. Sure, I know that unlike many other rappers out there, Isaiah have the rap sheet to back it up. Or as he presents himself on his own webpage: "infamous rapper, convicted multiple felon, over 400 witnessed bare knuckle street fights, founder & co-owner of the prestigious tattoo parlor Staring Without Caring in Tucson". But here is the thing, and this is just my personal view. Nowadays I'm just so bored by thug- and gangsta lyrics. And sadly enough that affects my impression of Illuminati Thug Mafia too. If I had heard this album 10-15 years ago I would have loved it completely. Today I enjoy the productions, but that's it really. Perhaps the album will grow a bit during the year, but for now, yet again, I'm not impressed.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments: