Thursday, January 13, 2011

Battle for Haditha

Battle for Haditha

Review: When a friend told me about this movie I got kind of a Restrepo-vibe from it and got interested. Then when I saw that Nick Broomfield had made it, I got a bit sceptical. This is after all the man behind the documentaries Kurt & Courtney and Biggie and Tupac. But my fear of this being sensationalist crap did not come true. And even if the movie has a documentary feel to it sometimes, it isn't. It tells the story about the Battle for Haditha. In November 2005, US Marines fell into an ambush by Iraqi insurgents and one officer got killed. The reprisals by the the Americans were frightening, resulting in the massacre of 24 people, many of whom women and children. I like the movie. It's strong, it's disturbing and it shows more of the reality of war than most movies out there.

No comments: