Monday, May 02, 2011

Kay the Aquanaut - Waterloo


Saskatoon-based Kay the Aquanaut has been around for many years now. I have to admit however that I have slept on him a bit. I've always liked him, but he has somehow got pushed to the background by his fellow Canadians. 2011 however brings a change. His EP We Sold Our Clothes to the State that came out earlier this year really woke my interest for real. Kay introduced a more mature artist here and more moody and emotional tracks. I knew that the EP was just a build up to Waterloo and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I was supposed to write this review a couple of weeks ago, but somehow was too lazy I guess. But this is an album that really needs to get heard, and written about. Since I first heard it, it's been on more or less constant rotation at home. The combination of Kay's vocals and the productions by one of my favourite producers, zoën, is quite brilliant to be honest. What we get is heartfelt music of the best kind. Some call it hip hop, some call it folk hop or emo rap. I call it really good music.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments: