Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tyler, the Creator - Goblin


American Psycho is fiction. Reservoir Dogs is fiction. Tyler, the Creator's lyrics are fiction. There, now we settled that and can move on to talk about the record itself. I guess few people have managed to avoid the hype surrounding Tyler, the Creator and his group OFWGKTA. Very often artists don't really live up to the hype and it all ends up quite disappointing in the end. I don't think Goblin really lives up to the hype, but how could it to be honest? He, and the rest of the group is neither the future of hip hop, nor it's saviours. What they all are however is really talented artists. And Goblin is a good album. It shows Tyler's strengths both as a producer and a storyteller. What I think makes Tyler and OFWGKTA special is that they provide a breath of fresh air in a genre that quite too often seem to stagnate. I don't think that Goblin will be among my favourite albums at the end of the year, but I will listen to it a lot these next few months at least.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments: