Saturday, December 12, 2009

#10 MC Paul Barman - Thought Balloon Mushroom Cloud



























This year was almost coming to an end and I was quite sure how this top ten list would turn out. Didn't really expect an album to pop up at the last minute and force itself on to the list. But I was wrong. Along came MC Paul Barman. Here's a guy who always been left in the dark and never really got the attention that he deserved. His album Paullelujah! was a masterpiece when it came. And who could really think that he would be able to do another one 7 years later. But he sure did. Thought Balloon Mushroom Cloud is just as lovely, tight and quirky as one could hope. Paul is a truly underrated emcee and with the help of amongst others Masta Ace, Del The Funky Homosapien, Memory Man, Prince Paul and Doom he's truly made an album worthy of being on my top ten list this year.

So what did MC Paul Barman himself think was the musical highlight of the year? He was good enough to share this with us, and this is what he had to say:

This year I finally discovered John McLaughlin.
In the late sixties, McLaughlin was working as Miles Davis's guitarist until Miles told him he needed his own band. So he formed The Mahavishnu Orchestra with monster drummer Billy Cobham and made one of my all time favorite records The Inner Mounting Flame.
Every Sunday I listen to Garam Masala, an Indian music show on WKCR and I heard his more traditional Indian work, the type of work he apparently prefers over his famous electric guitar. I adore both styles and am amazed by his breadth of work.
I began researching Hinduism and the lives of Vishnu in order to illustrate the cover of Thought Balloon Mushroom Cloud. I am hoping this will lead to a greater understanding of McLaughlin's music.

No comments: